.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Free Hugs for Rudy Fernandez, Ladies enter TrailBlazers huddle in Dallas



On the level of interesting stories that has come by the TNLP desk, this might be one of the strangest.

The Portland Trail Blazers were in Dallas over the weekend and let's just say that the security in Dallas is a little lax.

We get more from Inside Hoops:

With the NBA’s All-Star Weekend headed to Dallas on Feb.12-14, let’s hope the Mavericks and the NBA have a better handle on security than they did Saturday when the Trail Blazers were in town.

During a timeout with 41 seconds left in regulation, two women walked onto the court and into the Trail Blazers huddle. One woman wrapped her arms around the waist of Blazers guard Rudy Fernandez from behind. Fernandez, who was not in the game but focused on the plays being diagrammed by coach Nate McMillan, was stunned.

“I was surprised,’’ Fernandez said. “I was listening to the coach on the bench and behind me, she touches me and says, ‘Rudy, I love you. Nice to meet you. Good game.’’ …

The women were ushered away from the huddle, and amazingly allowed to return to their courtside seats under the basket and watch the remainder of the game, which went to overtime.

I'm going to take a guess that these women were clearly intoxicated but I have to say that security probably batted an eye for other reasons. Hey, it's not everyday that an attractive woman enters an NBA huddle and hugs a player.

Why do I have some sinking feeling that Mark Cuban was behind this?