.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

This Week In NBA Statue News: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Wants One


There are five statues currently sitting outside Staples Center in Los Angeles, California but Lakers great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar isn't one of them and he is not too pleased about it.

Kareem recently told the Sporting News that he felt slighted by not being one of those statues.

We get more from The Sporting News:

"I don't understand (it). It's either an oversight or they're taking me for granted. I'm not going to try to read people's minds, but it doesn't make me happy. It's definitely a slight. I feel slighted."

In a subsequent statement passed along by his business manager, Abdul-Jabbar said: "I am highly offended by the total lack of acknowledgement of my contribution to Laker success. I guess being the lynchpin for five world championships is not considered significant enough in terms of being part of Laker history."
Although, I tend to agree with Kareem on his point, I'm pretty sure that the Lakers will be getting to his statue relatively soon.

Oh by the way, the people featured on those five statues outside of the Staples Center, Magic Johnson/Oscar De La Hoya/Jerry West/Chick Hearn/and Wayne Gretzky.

(Courtesy of Off the Bench)